05/01/2012

A tale of three taps

Dome window at York Tap
Pivovar. A Czech beer importer and owner of Pivni bar in York. But this year it has also been the driving force behind the opening of three excellent bars, the Sheffield, Euston and York taps respectively. I've been fortunate to visit all three within the last half of 2011. Although similar in terms of beer range and proximity to a station they all have their own unique charms.

The Euston Tap was my first visit back in August for the Bieres San Frontieres staff party. Housed in one of the Doric Arches outside Euston Station, its a fairly tiny venue, but there are more seats hidden upstairs. The beer tap arrangement has to be seen to be believed and there are both cask and keg beers available from all over the UK and further afield. I enjoyed some Bristol Beer Factory Acer and Saison.

Later that same month I visited the Sheffield tap. Right on the platform and  with an hour to spare until my connection I indulged in their comprehensive beer menu, tasting the Hawaii coconut porter and an old favourite, Schlenkerla rauchbier marzen. On draught I plumped for the Thornbridge Burton Ale and a half of Camden Pale. I found the bottle prices to be reasonable so bought a couple for my train journey too.

But the jewel in the Pivovar crown is the newly opened York Tap. Based in the original station waiting room which has been lovingly restored, including the stained glass dome windows. There is a fully navigable island bar with beers down three sides and fridges in behind, with a smallish but exciting bottled selection. There's also real fires, very handy for drying off in front of when its been hammering it down in York. I visited twice last week and could have stayed all night. I had far too many tasty beers to recap on them all, there's something for everyone, the staff are friendly and helpful and the pub has the excited buzz of conversation that indicates a quality establishment and the best I visited in 2011, hence my Golden Pints nomination.

I shall certainly endeavour to return to all three in 2012 and suggest you do too.

Bonus Question:
(There may be a prize)
Can you identify all three beers?

2 comments:

  1. Love the Euston Tap. Looking forward to a trip to York sometime soon, will definitely be popping in there. I hadn't realised it was actually on the station, does it get packed out at times with trains due etc?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although full of people we had no trouble finding a table on both visits. Plenty of seating and because a lot of people are waiting for trains, you wouldn't have to wait long if there were none.

    ReplyDelete